Reasons I Love/Hate Mom
- She tells me all the things I’m doing wrong with Christian: holding him too much, letting his nails get too long, letting him get too cold…
- When she holds Christian she leans forward and whispers, “I’m always available for you, Christian.”
- She says I need help cleaning the house.
- She cleans the kitchen grout with a scrubby brush and clorox.
- She says I should let Christian cry once in a while.
- When she holds Christian, she takes deep breathfuls of his new baby smell. And when she lies down for a nap, she wants to sleep with him for his warmth.
- She covets my stuff: my toenail polish, my slippers, my garlic press, my meat tenderizer. (I gave her the slippers.)
- She brings me refills on my favorite face cream (which I can no longer afford) and bath salts she bought at the Dead Sea. And she brought Bella “gim,” roasted seaweed, from Korea.
- She pokes me in the belly and asks if I’m expecting another baby.
- She cooks up hearty Korean meals – all my favorites, including the post-birth soup, myuk guk, which is very high in iron. And she takes me out to eat and orders take in too.
- She tells me I’m spoiling Bella.
- She takes Bella out on a congratulations-you’re-an-older-sister shopping spree.
This entry was posted in family
. Bookmark the permalink