Maya and I had our second cooking marathon today. Fun! And here is the famous recipe for Nut Rice Burgers. Not only are they amazingly delicious, but this recipe makes enough for 34 burgers which can be wrapped in aluminum packets of two and frozen for future quick meals. This elusive recipe comes from our friend Nicole’s mom, the raw chef Marlena, who lives on Maui. I believe the recipe is her own creation.
Nut Rice Burgers
7 1/2 water
4 c organic brown rice
4 c chopped onions, sauteed
2 bay leaves
4 tsp celtic salt or unrefined sea salt
4 cups finely ground cashews
1 cup pumpkins seeds
1/2 sunflower seeds
1 3/4 # swiss cheese (yes, this a lot: 800 grams – but you are making a lot of burgers!)
Bragg’s (or tamari)
Cornmeal or matzah meal
1. Bring 7 1/2 cups of water to a boil.
2. Add 4 cups of organic short grain brown rice, 2 bay leaves, and 4 tsp celtic salt or unrefined sea salt.
3. Saute 4 cups of chopped onions in olive oil until golden brown. Add to pot of rice. Cook rice until all water is absorbed. Let cool.
4. Grind 4 cups finely ground cashews with 1 cup pumpkins seeds, 1/2 sunflower seeds, and a generous handful of parsley. Add.
5. Grate 1 3/4 # swiss cheese (you can use the S blade of the cuisinart, first chop swiss into 1 1/2 in size chunks, then process in cuisinart.) Add.
6. Add 2 generous squirts of Bragg’s (or tamari).
7. Mix all ingredients using your hands. Keeping your hands wet, shape into balls (baseball-sized). Press with the palm of your hand to make them flat. Dip each burger in cornmeal (we used matzah meal today which worked well). Wrap in aluminum packets of two with a small aluminum divider. Freeze. Yowza. Seventeen meals ready to be cooked.
8. Pan fry and serve with ketchup. Even my daughter who hates swiss cheese, brown rice , and parsley loves these burgers.
n.b. You can use an English muffin cutter that you can find in Ben Franklin. Place the burger ball in the center of a square of plastic wrap. Press down and shape inside the cutter. Wrap.
We also made vegetarian pate and my mom’s amazing rum cake. Recipes and pics to follow.