I’ve been memed before, but this is the first time I’ve finally gotten around to responding to a tag. (But I promise to eventually get around to the meme tag from Laura and the long-ago previous one from Tiff.
“The rules of the game get posted at the beginning. Each player answers the questions about themselves. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged. Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.”
1) What were you doing 5 years ago?
In 2003 I was a single mom living in a geodesic dome in Joshua Tree. I had quit my job as a middle school English teacher to go back to school full-time, and I was commuting two to three days a week to Art Center in Pasadena for a master’s in Art Theory and Criticism. Bella was only NINE years old and she still loved me at that point (and Chad too). Bella was still homeschooling then… and I had been dating Chad for a year. And I think it might have been the year I was involved in a custody battle with Bella’s dad. It sounds dramatic, but it all felt pretty normal (well, the court battle did get ugly; I called the police once).
2) What are 5 things on your to-do list for today?
I’ll do tomorrow since today is pretty much finished:
- Call United Airlines and see if I can get on the same flight as my sister and her family from Virginia to LA (since she changed it and didn’t think to tell me until this weekend).
- Start making a Waldorf-style doll for my niece, Nabi Grace.
- Pack one box of books or clothes in preparation for our move at the end of the month
- Write my three last thank-you cards for wedding gifts (!!!) Yes, I know my wedding was a year ago.
- Make Creamy Pink Soup (it’s cream of beet greens which always turns out pink, but delicious).
3) What are 5 snacks you enjoy?
This one is easy. I could go on and on…
- liverwurst on toasted soudough
- leftover lasagna
- stoeffer’s french bread pizza
- canned clam chowder on rice
- either maya’s carrot cake cupcakes or sprinkle’s mocha cupcakes
4) What are five things you would do if you were a billionaire?
After taking care of all loans (school, house, and Bella’s and Christian’s future college), I would divide the rest the rest by 60 (Chad and I probably won’t live past 100, right?), and use it to:
- live abroad (we may do this when Bella goes to college anyway)
- hike the Pacific Coast Trail (as a matter of fact, it would be ideal to backpack several months of every year)
- see art around the world
- start a social networking company in Los Angeles for carpooling (like the French version of Allo-stop or the Canadian version of, um, I forgot the name)
- maintain an art foundation that would provide yearly grants to emerging artists
5) What are five jobs you’ve had?
- naturalist (outdoor educator for Naturalists at Large)
- bike tour leader (for Student Hosteling Program)
- lectrice (English language teacher’s assistent at the University of Reims)
- floor fellow (student advisor on the seventh floor of Molson Hall at McGill)
- champagne grape picker (just outside of Reims)
I’m passing this on to the only four other bloggers I know well enough to meme tag and my brother, Songbae, who does not have a blog, but can post his response here as a comment:
Corrina at corrinacorrina
Laura at il piccolino
Darlene at Livin’ the Good Life
Maya at JT Homestead
Songbae (he does have a rather static website though here)