I’ve been memed before, but this is the first time I’ve finally gotten around to responding to a tag. (But I promise to eventually get around to the meme tag from Laura and the long-ago previous one from Tiff.
â€œThe rules of the game get posted at the beginning. Each player answers the questions about themselves. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know theyâ€™ve been tagged. Let the person who tagged you know when youâ€™ve posted your answer.â€
1) What were you doing 5 years ago?
In 2003 I was a single mom living in a geodesic dome in Joshua Tree. I had quit my job as a middle school English teacher to go back to school full-time, and I was commuting two to three days a week to Art Center in Pasadena for a master’s in Art Theory and Criticism. Bella was only NINE years old and she still loved me at that point (and Chad too). Bella was still homeschooling then… and I had been dating Chad for a year. And I think it might have been the year I was involved in a custody battle with Bella’s dad. It sounds dramatic, but it all felt pretty normal (well, the court battle did get ugly; I called the police once).
2) What are 5 things on your to-do list for today?
I’ll do tomorrow since today is pretty much finished:
- Call United Airlines and see if I can get on the same flight as my sister and her family from Virginia to LA (since she changed it and didn’t think to tell me until this weekend).
- Start making a Waldorf-style doll for my niece, Nabi Grace.
- Pack one box of books or clothes in preparation for our move at the end of the month
- Write my three last thank-you cards for wedding gifts (!!!) Yes, I know my wedding was a year ago.
- Make Creamy Pink Soup (it’s cream of beet greens which always turns out pink, but delicious).
3) What are 5 snacks you enjoy?
This one is easy. I could go on and on…
- liverwurst on toasted soudough
- leftover lasagna
- stoeffer’s french bread pizza
- canned clam chowder on rice
- either maya’s carrot cake cupcakes or sprinkle’s mocha cupcakes
4) What are five things you would do if you were a billionaire?
After taking care of all loans (school, house, and Bella’s and Christian’s future college), I would divide the rest the rest by 60 (Chad and I probably won’t live past 100, right?), and use it to:
- live abroad (we may do this when Bella goes to college anyway)
- hike the Pacific Coast Trail (as a matter of fact, it would be ideal to backpack several months of every year)
- see art around the world
- start a social networking company in Los Angeles for carpooling (like the French version of Allo-stop or the Canadian version of, um, I forgot the name)
- maintain an art foundation that would provide yearly grants to emerging artists
5) What are five jobs youâ€™ve had?
- naturalist (outdoor educator for Naturalists at Large)
- bike tour leader (for Student Hosteling Program)
- lectrice (English language teacher’s assistent at the University of Reims)
- floor fellow (student advisor on the seventh floor of Molson Hall at McGill)
- champagne grape picker (just outside of Reims)
I’m passing this on to the only four other bloggers I know well enough to meme tag and my brother, Songbae, who does not have a blog, but can post his response here as a comment:
Corrina at corrinacorrina
Laura at il piccolino
Darlene at Livin’ the Good Life
Maya at JT Homestead
Songbae (he does have a rather static website though here)