Our first day in San Fran, Chad and I had the fortune to happen upon a birthday party in Songbae’s office building. The guy who was celebrating his birthday was not there – no doubt at home, celebrating without us, but a talented co-worker, Jennifer Vertrees, brought in a beautiful home-made cake. I was thoroughly impressed and grilled her accordingly. I think I got all the important steps to recreate a cake such as this one:
1. Bake three round cakes, and cut off the rounded tops.
2. Edge the first round cake with icing – to build a small wall. Then fill the top of the cake with pudding (from a mix). Layer with fresh cut bananas (or strawberries or kiwi…).
3. Set the second round cake on top and repeat.
4. Set the third cake on top.
5. Frost the entire cake with homemade whipped cream (whip heavy cream without sugar until it makes peaks).
6. Pour chocolate sauce (the kind that hardens) along the top edge of the cake so it dribbles down the sides.
7. Use regular chocolate frosting and a frosting bag and squeeze out little shell-like squirts all along the top and bottom edge of the cake.
8. Sprinkle slivered almonds. If you’re a talented frosting writer, write a message…