I thought I had posted this recipe long ago – but I guess I haven’t. This sauce is a must for ice cream lovers and only takes five ingredients and five minutes to make from scratch. The story goes that each of the three children in my brother-in-law’s family learned to make a different sauce:Â butterscotch, toffee fingers, and chocolate. Chocolate sauce is the handiest and I bet the most popular. Bella made it herself tonight – successfully!
The sauce is flexible and depending on the amount of ingredients and temperature cooked, the sauce is sometimes chewy, other times it hardens when it hits the ice cream.
Chocolate Sauce a la Joss
You need: cocoa powder, sugar, water, vanilla, and butter.
- Measure out one tablespoon of sugar per person. Measure out approximately one-third of that amount of cocoa, ex. 6 tbs sugar + 2 tbs cocoa.
- In a heavy-bottomed small saucepan, heat up the sugar and cocoa until the sugar melts.
- Add a couple tablespoons of water – just enough to make it sauce-y.
- Stir until heated through and the right consistency.
- Turn off the heat, and add a knob of butter and a few drops of vanilla.
- Pour over the ice cream and laugh at everybody’s chocolate-y smiles.